Hello and happy freakin’ Friday! Fresh flowers add such beauty to my home, but of course when they start to go bad it can seem like a waste – especially when they are roses! One of my favorite beauty products to make comes from my organic rose water mist recipe. This super beneficial mist is actually pretty easy to create on your own. Plus, it is a great way to utilize the roses you bought that are going bad. You can of course use fresh roses to create your own rose water or you can wait till they brown on the edges and use them. Rose water mist has become one of my ultimate must-have DYI products because it is simple, great for hydrating skin and smells amazing!
If you are dealing with heavy seasons like summer and winter where your skin tends to need extra care, having a bottle of rose water mist at hand can really refresh your skin and keep it from being too dry. There are two parts to this recipe, one to create the rose water and another to create the actual mist. ***Please excuse my photos, I did this post iPhone style.
What is does:
Hydrates and purifies skin
Maintains PH balance
Calms acne, sunburn and eczema
What you need:
- 1 cup fresh or slightly fresh organic rose petals – you are only going to be using the petals (any color, in this recipe I used red roses)
- 2 cups filtered water
- 2-4 Tbsp almond oil or any oil you prefer (jojoba oil is also very nice!)
*** Most roses sold in the grocery store are not organic. To keep the recipe organic check your local farmers market or use roses from your own organic garden.
To create the rose water:
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in saucepan, turn down heat to low.
- Add rose petals to water (if you are using slightly browned, select the best petals and remove the dry portion)
- Use spoon to push the petals under the water, cover saucepan and let simmer until the rose petal loses its color. You will see rose oil floating on the top.
- Allow mixture to completely cool, strain and put to the side.
***TIP: Store your extra rose water in the fridge! This will help keep it longer so you can use it to make more mist or other beauty products such as toner.
To create the rose water mist:
- Add 1/2 cup rose petal water to spray bottle
- Add in 2-4 oil based on your skin type (For dry skin, use 3-4 tbsp, For oily skin, use 2 tbsp)
- Shake well and it is ready to use!
***TIP: I also like to keep the rose water mist in the fridge. It does not spoil for months but this will give you a nice cool mist to use during those hot summer months. 🙂
For this recipe I reused an old plastic bottle, but if you are looking for a spray bottle to use, glass is best! You can find some great deals on Amazon or in stores like HomeGoods or Hobby Lobby. A 4oz bottle is a great size to buy so you can take it along with you.
Hope you enjoy this beauty recipe! Please share your creations with us on Instagram @HypeGirls and hashtag #GirlCult 🙂